Thursday, April 10, 2008

Sutter Buttes


If you are a regular reader, you may be wondering where I've been.  I've been turning inward for a while, exploring what relative solitude would feel like.  You would think that would be easy for single person with her own house and retreat hut, but actually not.
The first week since my last post I did a little practice intensive here at home, while a band of industrious men replaced the roof on my house.  During breaks between sessions I would go out and look, as well as continuing working with Laurie editing our Shitro text.  It's starting to look good!

Then, I got a spot on a hike at Sutter Buttes, through the Middle Mountain Foundation, and went for it.  The Buttes are a geologic formation of volcanic origin that rise up from the middle of the California's central valley.  They look like an island volcano, and actually they are.  The flat floor of the valley, now the home of industrial agriculture, was once thousands of feet deep and filled with water.  The fertile valley we see now is the result of sediment and debris building up until ot flooded only seasonally, then finally the human system of levees that eliminate even seasonal flooding.

The day long hike took us into a local ranch, which I will write about in the next post.



No comments: