Friday, December 28, 2007

Skillful Means

A backyard in Santa Fe, Sunset, Christmas Eve 2007

One December 24, I started to drive down to New Mexico via Chama.  In Chama the state of new Mexico provided a tourist stop with free internet.  Fortunately I read my email there.  I found that Upaya Zen Center in Santa Fe had decided to throw a last minute Christmas Eve traditional dinner.  I have signed up for a Buddhist Chaplaincy training program at Upaya, that starts in 2008, but I have never been there.  The centers' Roshi (zen master) Joan Halifax Roshi was to make her cranberry relish, so I had to go!
Now, I have never spent more than five minutes inside a Zen center before.  I came to the door and was ushered towards the Zendo, a lovely spartan glowing room with a statue of Manjushri in the center, and cushions all around the fringe.  Not facing the wall as one might expect, actually.A A gnome like priest gestured me silently to come-in, come-in.  Damn, I just remembered my back was toast from the previous days activities.  Oh, well, I sat and tried not to squirm.  They had the lights dimmed, which added an other-worldly quality to my meditation.  They mercifully have periodic walking meditation, I couldn't feel my feet by then. The gnome told us to carefully follow the person in front.  Being inattentive, I went astray and zig-zagged wildly throughout the shrine room.  
It was then that I realized the gnomes voice sounded familiar from You Tube.  As I limped out of the shrine room when I could take the pain no longer she found me--it was Roshi!  Smiling, instantly remembering who I was and giving me a robust greeting, she welcomed me to dinner. 

Her little talk before we ate was similar, enthusiastic and hearty she made aspirations that this little roomful of 25 people or so was exhorted to end war, poverty and suffering for all in this very life.  She is short in stature and goes up on her toes with feeling at times, a clear leader, vigorous and present.

The assembly mirrored the friendly cheerfulness of their mentor.  I will have a great time at my Upaya visits over the next two years, that is certain.

No comments: