Saturday, December 29, 2007

The Renunciates and the Mantrikas

Jampa (AKA Richard D.) at Tara Mandala last week 

Ani Jampal Tsomo at lunch today--that's fake fur!
The shrine room, mantrikas backs, and April's daughter
Stacey and Ellen chatting at the auction today

Teachings continued today at the Shambhala Center, plus the annual fundraising auction for charities.  Christine, the doc in charge of the Tibet Humanitarian Project spoke about one twelve year old nun who needs expensive surgeries on for deformities of both legs, and these must be done before she is 13 because of something about her the growth plates.  We did a good job pulling together for her, accompanied by a song by our favorite rapper Ellen S., who happened to be in town making a music video, and paid us a surprise visit.

Rinpoche always stressed that we are a sangha of both monastics and mantrikas (ngakpas), and likes all the non-monastics to wear a specific stripped shawl -- that some other lamas think indicates only a super high level practitioner.  I think it is understood that the robes indicate a mere aspiration for us.  It makes our lama feel uplifted to see up in robes, perhaps because he is a monk who has spent his life around people in robes--but what he says is that it increases his faith in us when we are in mantrika robes.

Between Colorado, Houston, Arizona and California, Rinpoche has at least six American nuns: Bhikshuni Kelsang Tsomo, Ani Chotso, Ani Tsomo, Ani Tsultrim (tall), Ani Tsultrim (short), and Ani Jampal Tsomo.  And one monk: Jampa.  The shortest time any of them has been ordained is two years.  I had lunch with Ani Jampal Tsomo (Robin) today.  She says she has never been happier.  She works as a school teacher then just comes home and practices.  She doesn't do anything else, and now she wants to tell everyone how peaceful that kind of life is.
Jampa (Richard) has really blossomed as a monastic as well.  What I have observed is that each of these monastics is really drawn to the heart aspect of monasticism--they are practical, good-hearted practitioners who like to keep their lives simple.  Really, I have been impressed with how taking these vows has enhanced their dignity, faith and humility.

Boy, I just lost steam!  I'd better post these photos and hit the sack.

6 comments:

Jody said...

Sidney, Thanks so much for letting me know of your blog...I find it fascinating and very enjoyable. Am
nearing the end of a massive novel,
called SACRED GAMES,which is set in
Bombay....intriguing in terms of its
spiritual underpinnings. Otherwise,
I continue quite strong. I think,
though, it's all about the 3rd eye, and SEEING, as opposed to hearing a
voice. Do you have any thoughts as
to why seeing is more, I dunno, enlightened, than hearing? I guess you can't HEAR light, can you? Jody

Turquoise Torch said...

I remember reading an article in Wired magazine a few years ago on a phenomena called synesthesia. Not a paranormal phenomena. There are people who see colors associated with certain numbers, people who can taste colors, see sounds, etc... For some, life is like an acid trip, even if they (like me) never dropped acid.

I have also met people experienced seeing things or hearing voices, strange sensations, deja vu, were actually having an atypical kind of tiny seizure or series of seizures.

In the Tibetan tradition, having experiences such as clairvoyance, or having psychic powers, or experiencing communications, is of little importance in spiritual development. In cultivating these, one could be unknowingly forging a connection with a worldy god or demon, and such relationships are fraught with danger. Such beings are viewed as ordinary sentient beings being pushed along by karma from life to life, same as we are.

The levels of enlightenment in the Mahayana Buddhist traditions (e.g. Zen, Chan, Tibetan Buddhism) are called Bodhisattva bhumis. For now, try googling 'bhumi.'

The most important signs of success in our practice as aspiring bodhisattvas are increased faith (in Buddhas, the teachings, our lama, and so on), increased devotion, and increased compassion for all sentient beings equally. Later we will develop emanation bodies, omniscience, siddhis, and so forth, naturally. But, at that point we are egoless as well, with little reference point or dualistic conception.

Too late to go further tonight.

Congratulations on nearing the completion of your book!

Jody said...

oops! Not my novel! A work of art by Vikram Chandra.

I agree about worldly gods or demons and the risk involved.

However, I also believe strongly in pursuing directions which seem to speak from your soul and are a PART OF YOU. I simply and utterly cannot accept that there is only one correct path to spiritual happiness. I do accept that the ultimate goal is pretty much the same, and the Tibetan Buddhist goal is good, from what I see.

That might sound like I don't understand the value of hard work in spiritual development, but that's not it. I believe in the individual FINDING the ONE SOUL of us all. Its the finding that I think should include creativity and joy and spontaneity. For me, it might be one path. For you, another.

Or, my compassion, or attempts at compassion, include myself and my struggles to find my way. I am The Way. And it means nothing. Guess
I'm quite Taoist, in truth.

Turquoise Torch said...

Oh yes, I absolutely agree that there is not one way, etc... I was expressing things from the perspective of the path I am reference in this blog.

That being said, I think that cultivating universal love and compassion is key to all paths, no? And virtues such as trying to help and not hurt others, humility, putting others before ourselves, aiming to be of benefit. So, really the basis of a spiritual path is the same. But you are right, they do diverge with different paths and fruits after that.

I guess the proof is in the pudding regarding regarding spiritual paths. If our negative emotions, and conduct, become less and less and we become softer, lighter and more beneficial, then I would feel that things are going well.

Actually, I don't know much about Taoism, or what a soul really is. We use the word, but I have never really been able to find a soul when I look for it. Did you find one?

winter light said...

Synaesthetes have neuroanatomical differences from other people. They are simply different, and, therefore, they experience sensory input in an unusual way. Scriabin was a synaesthete and his music is immensely challenging to play. It is also intensely rewarding, if you can just stick with it!

Richard Cytowic wrote a book: "The Man Who Tasted Shapes" for anyone who is interested in synaesthesia.

With respect to Daoism, our local teacher has stated that the Dao is "too loose," and - if pursued - may lead to chaos. I do not know anything of Daoism. Although, I would guess that the Tao Te Ching is the ultimate source to rely on.

With respect to "seeing" - I have met people who can see. However, imo they are not generally happy or well adjusted people.

Going back to the Dao, I would be most interested in following this path if only there were teachers.

Anonymous said...

More resources for any synaesthetophiles lurking in cyber space:

Books:

"The Hidden Sense: Synesthesia in Art and Science" by Cretien van Campen.

"Synesthesia: A Union of the Senses" by Richard E. Cytowic.

Synaesthesia means "joined sensation."