Monday, October 27, 2008

To Paradise

The entrance to Wilbur Hot Springs

I left Douglas's house and checked out Wilbur Hot Springs, a quaint old sulphur springs where people go to "take the waters." I took the waters, soaking in deep troughs called flumes, and having a massage. This place fairly faithfully maintained 19th century style. I personally am nat a great fan 19th century, other than the flowering of homeopathy, and the founding of our first national parks, that century does not to much for me.

Paradise, CA

Going across the central valley, through Chico I felt more and more depressed. Perhaps it was the right wing radio, the after effects of the wine the previous night. Or it could have been an inner knowing that... yes, I left my medicine and my cell phone in Lakeport and would need to go allll the way back the next day. I spent the night in Paradise, because I know it has good views of the Sutter Buttes--which are a personal obsession of mine. But I barely glaced at the Buttes as I raced back across the state the following morning.

No comments: