Thursday, October 23, 2008

Tonight in Oakland--confrontation






Hearing that some women were called "faggot" yesterday at an intersection near my house by supporters of California Prop. 8 (the referendum to make an amendment to the California constitution to ban gay/lesbian marriage), I headed out to see if I could help tonight. I spent two and a half hours at that intersection today, but the bigots did not show up. Instead, a small group of us waved signs against Prop. 8. All different kinds of people supported us. I felt like a I should run for Congress.

Then we headed down to MacArthur and High, where it was another story. The Pro Prop 8 people were there, as were many anti. I'm so curious about who the anti-gay people are, that I took pictures of them. They could be identified as the same people who were verbally abusive yesterday. Most look to be Samoan or Tongan, perhaps one big clan. Then there were a few African American people tonight.

The lesbians were particularly adorable tonight. I will keep those pics for my personal enjoyment.

P.S. Yes, I bought a new camera.

No comments: