Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Cute Coots

Some kids paddling, and singing on Lake Merritt today.

Coots in the lake.

Circumambulating the lake again today, I noticed children paddling a skulling boat, and kind of singing a rowing song.  Cute.  But birds are the movie stars of Lake Merritt, which has the oldest bird sanctuary in the U.S.   I never knew that these diving birds are called American Coots.  I thought I was an American Coot, but now I see I am no where near as cute as a coot.

If I had remembered my text and my mala or electronic counter, I would have "opened" my practice, reading up to the mantra part, then accumulated my mantra while walking, then "closed" the practice by finishing up the rest of the sadhana.  One of my lamas allows me to count mantras accumulated while walking towards my practice goals.  I am not a body-oriented person, and exercise is excruciatingly boring for me, so practicing while exercising is good for me, plus the exercise brightens up the practice for me.  But I forgot the text and the mala, so I just said 21 seven line prayers, did my 3.4 miles, spent a few brief moments abiding in awareness, and called it a day.


No comments: