Monday, February 11, 2008

Hiking and Hopping




My friend, actually ex-wife, Deb and I went for a walk on Sequoia-Sunset trail in the hills today. Deb is a personal chef and fundraising consultant. Deb's the best conversationalist I know, meaning she listens very intently and it makes one feel oh-so-interesting. I am trying to do as many of my social activities as I can while on the move these days. Yes, a fitness kick is underway.

The next step of my fitness kick will be to find someplace to dance. Yes, the dharma nerd likes to dance. I was in the best condition of my adult life when I went through a time when I was swing dancing three nights a week for a year in my thirties. It is also an opportunity to touch human beings, and listen to good music.

So, I've started looking at the internet to find out where to go. It seems lesbians have a few options in the Bay Area:

"Cream"
supersexy lesbian dance party with rotating DJs spinning hip-hop, old-school, funk, Latin, and disco

(Oh my goodness no. This makes me feel very old.)

"Ladies' Night with Burnin' Bush"
w/ Ital Hi-Fi spinning dancehall, reggae, & hip-hop

(That one makes me feel very... white)

Hot to Trot Women's Dance
Beginners are welcome to learn and participate in two-step, East and West Coast swing, salsa, waltzes, nightclub two-step, some Lindy and line dances.
Price: $10-$20 sliding scale, includes lesson
Time & Date: Fridays, 7:30-11 p.m.
Glenview Performing Arts Center
1318 Glenfield Ave.
Oakland CA 94602
Oakland: Glenview
510-763-1343, hot2dance@aol.com

That sounds more up my alley. Although it's still a sexual metaphor, it a nerdy middle-aged one. Unfortunately, they have Valentine's party this weekend. Yuck. I've decided I'm allergic to relationships. I'll wait until the following week.

Leading and following are completely different in these dances, and with women I learned to lead because I am tall and look silly trying to follow those little butch women.

That's if I want to play it safe and stick to women's events. Should I dare learn to follow? If we open up the whole wide world of Bay Area swing dance, the best options I see are:

Trip the light fantastic

Allegro dancers

Then the big picture:
Lindylist

What is swing dancing you ask? Well, there are different styles, here is a video of some good Lindy-hop dancers. Lindy is most popular out here in the Bay area, but I prefer the Jitterbug,
Why? Because it's easier, I couldn't even get the basic steps down of the Lindy, last time I tried.

Now, I'm loosing my nerve before I even start!

No comments: