Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Buddhist Chaplaincy




The above photos were taken and posted recently by Joan Halifax Roshi of Upaya Institute in Santa Fe.  The top photo is the gate of Upaya, the bottem photo is a backyard a few blocks from there.  How do I know?  Because I posted a picture of the same windmill here, that I took on December 24.  What are the chances of that?

I am part of the first class in their Buddhist Chaplaincy training program that starts this year.  It will be team taught by the leading lights of the engaged Buddhism movement, Glassman, Maull, Halifax herself, etc.  I, on the other hand, am a dim bulb of the disengaged Buddhism movement.  However, I am also an old nurse, and old nurses are like old firehouse dogs--we always return to help people directly who are at critical junctures in their lives.  Since is the only ingrained habit I have that is positive, I guess I will figure out how to channel it.

No comments: