Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I Like Lichen


Today in Redwood Park

I had a nice relaxing day today, practicing, moving ants out of the bathroom, and corresponding with the new friends I have made on this blog.  In the afternoon I slipped out and went for a walk in Redwood Park, in the hills above Oakland.  The spotlight was on moss and lichen that beamed forth green light from trunks, branches and stones.

My ex, D, emailed me on New Years, reminding me that it has been 13 years since we pulled our Uhaul and my Ford Festiva off at the High Street exit, then sideswiped a parked car on our way up the hill to our new rented home.  Although it didn't turn out as we'd planned, I am so happy we landed here.  And I'm so glad you are still my friend.

The first year here, a few things I remember: a) being broke b) volunteering binding books at the Nyingma Institute's TAP bookmaking project (the Kangyur or the Tengyur at that time) c) answering phones at the Berkeley Shambhala Center, d) how beautiful everything looked/smelled/felt, and e) these fabulous East Bay Parks that we discovered soon after we arrived.


No comments: