Thursday, January 10, 2008

Puja A-Go-Go


Once you've done tsok every night in retreat, you really don't want to stop when you get out... you want some little puja to remind you of your inherent divinity.  That's where Ikea comes in.
 
Lost yet?

Puja is a kind of ceremony invoking immaterial wisdom deity, sometimes accompanied by a feast.  As Vajrayana practitioners we do tsok on the 10th and 25th day of the lunar month.  In my tradition, this can be elaborate or unelaborate.

Ikea is an overwhelming maze-like variation on the big box store.  They sell various items for tsok, some of the best tea lights around, trays for making tormas (sculptural dough offerings), and most recently I became enamored with their plastic trays with legs, that one can use to give folks something to set their text on, or to make a little impromtu shrine island when everything else is in chaos.  

Lately I have been feeling enthralled with Yeshe Tsogyal. The pre-eminent dakini--who brought me to the Dharma by sharing her life story with me, so many years ago.  I want to practice as she did, perfecting every aspect of the path.  Please Mother Tsogyal, teach me everything and enhance my capacity, devotion and bodhicitta!


No comments: